If College Isn’t Your Thing Toolkit
About this Toolkit: The If College Isn’t Your Thing Toolkit explores postsecondary options for students interested in learning more about college alternatives. This toolkit includes information on on-the-job training, military careers, community colleges and technical schools, and travel and volunteer opportunities. It also includes information for parents and educators about the importance of K-8 career development for students.
Tips for Using this Toolkit:
If College Isn’t Your Thing: Find Out More
- It’s important for students to understand their choices for school and/or work after high school. Have students complete What Are Your Choices? to better understand their options.
- Use Family Chat and have students interview family members about their careers. Then encourage students to design a plan for their future using Making a Plan.
Educator and Parent Resources
- If College Isn’t Your Thing Brochure
- College Alternatives Summary Sheet
- What is Career and Technical Education?
- Plans for the Future
- Where Will You Be in 8 Years?
- Do You Really Know YOU?
- My Family Career Tree
- Is College Right for My Child?
- Career Development Tips for Parents - Elementary
- Career Development Tips for Parents - Middle
- Exploring Interests with Your Child
- College and Career Readiness Elementary Parent Guide
- College and Career Readiness Middle School Parent Guide