MMS Guidance and Counseling Program Goals
· Assist students in their adjustment to middle school and later in high school
· Be accessible to the needs of middle school students during this period of growth and change
· Support student’s personal and social development
· Assist students in academic achievement and educational growth
· Help students establish and maintain positive interpersonal and peer relationships
· Encourage and guide students as they explore career interests
· Provide a safe, positive emotional and physical climate that enhances student confidence and learning
MMS Counselors provide the following Services
· Counsel individual students and lead small groups regarding their personal, social, and educational needs
· Consult with parents, teachers, administrators and other support personnel
· Present and discuss Character Education lessons in the classroom
· Orient new students and parents to Memorial Middle School
· Collaborate with area businesses to enhance community involvement with the school
· Refer students and families with additional needs to outside agencies
· Participate on school-based intervention teams
· Create and edit student schedules
· Printing of progress reports every 3 weeks and report cards every 9 weeks
· Coordinate College awareness Activities throughout the school year
· Implement the school wide Anti-Bullying Program
How Do Students See Their Counselor
Counselor Request: The counselor may request to meet with a student to address a specific concern.
Teacher/Staff Referral: A student may be sent or accompanied to the counselor when immediate attention is needed.
Parent Referral: A parent or guardian may request that the counselor meet with his or her child.
Self-Referral: Students wishing to see their counselor may ask their teacher for a hall pass to the Counselor’s office.