Creating a habit of life-long reading is one of the greatest gifts we can give our students. Establishing this habit early and nurturing it throughout their school years is critical to their success in school and beyond.
Our summer reading program is designed to help students understand the following:
• Reading can be an enjoyable pastime.
• People read for pleasure, not just to acquire information.
• Reading is a skill that improves with practice.
• Reading can be a family activity. Parents that read inspire children to read.
• Reading is fundamental in providing a solid basis for academic achievement in all areas.
Participation for Pre-AP and AP students is required - including completing the required reading and accompanying project(s). However, all students are encouraged to read throughout the summer.
Visit the links below for additional information.
The Harlingen Public Library has excellent opportunities for students of all ages to read and participate in creative literacy events. Visit the Library Services and Harlingen Public Library web pages for more information.
We encourage parents to review a title to determine
the content or subject appropriateness for their child.