• Early College High School

    English I Syllabus

    Ms. D. Poppe

    dena.poppe@hcisd.org

    Conference Period:  M/W 2:10-3:35; Tu/Th 12:40-2:05

    Tutoring: M-F 7:15 – 7:45 a.m. and 3:45 – 4:15 p.m.

     

    Overview

     

    This course focuses on the study of literary genre, expansion of vocabulary, and composition techniques.  Students will engage in critical reading and analysis of various multi-cultural selections and respond to these pieces through writing and participation in discussion. The goal of this course is for students to gain a better understanding and appreciation of literature in all of its forms, through reading, writing, speaking, listening, and project production.

     

     

    Supplies                   2” 3-ring binder with dividers                           

                                        Loose-leaf, college ruled paper                       Kleenex                    

                                        Durable 2-pocket folder                  Required                  four-colored pen     Recommended

                                        Pens, pencils, highlighters                                            hand sanitizer

     

     

    Grading Policy      20% Homework

                                        30% Daily work/participation

                                        20% Tests/Quizzes

                                        30% Other (Writing assignments, projects)

     

                            *Note:    the final course grade is based 85% on the above breakdown.  The remaining 15% is

                                                    comprised of the EOC/STAAR exam taken in the second semester.

                                       

     

    Absences and Make up Work

     

    Because the course is blocked, missing one day of instruction is like missing two!  Class discussions and group work cannot be made up.  Students are given one day to make up work for every day of an excused absence.  Students are responsible for requesting make up work. If a quiz or test is missed, the student must make it up on the first day back, between 7:00 and 8:20 a.m.  If absent on the day that a major project or assignment is due, the assignment is considered late and not accepted unless arrangements are made to deliver the project or assignment to school on the day that it is due.

     

    .

     

    Classroom Expectations

     

    Students are expected to follow the core values set forth by the ECHS community.  Assignments are expected to be turned in on time.  Point deductions or zeroes will be given for late/missing work.

     

     

    Re-test Policy

     

    Re-testing is in accordance with the HCISD Teacher’s Handbook.