The mission of the Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District Student Board is to provide an avenue of participation and involvement of student leaders in the district. The Student Advisory Board will offer advice on student concerns to the superintendent from the perspective of the students of HCISD. The primary mission will be to promote the HCISD’s goals through student input into those areas that impact student performance, safety and security, dropout prevention,and other areas of concern.
1. The Student Advisory Board will consist of a total of 15 students from the Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District’s secondary campuses. The membership will be made up of 4 representatives (with 2 being appointed by the principal) from HHS and HHSS, 1 representative from KEYS Academy, 1 from ECHS and 1 representative from each of the five middle schools.
2. Staff member appointed by the Superintendent.
Term of Service
1. The PTSA student president or the student council president, and the class president of
the two high schools, the class president from ECHS, a Harlingen Rising Leader from KEYS
Academy and the student council president or designee from each middle school will serve on the Student Advisory Board for one school year or to the conclusion of their term in office.
1. The Student Advisory Board will serve in an advisory role to the Superintendent.
2. Student Advisory Board members will be provided opportunities to reinforce the idea of the Democratic process.
3. Meeting procedures:
• The Student Advisory Board will meet 8 times a year beginning in October and
ending in May.
• The Student Advisory Board will meet during 11:45 am. – 1:15pm.
• The Student Advisory Board will elect a president, vice president, secretary and committee chairperson.
• The Student Advisory Board’s monthly meeting will be held at the HCISD Administration
4. The Student Advisory Board will participate in community service projects.
5. The Student Advisory Board will submit an annual report to the Superintendent listing the concerns that affect a majority of the secondary students or majority of students at their campus.
6. The Superintendent or designee will coordinate the functioning of the Student Advisory Board.
7. Student Advisory Board members will refer all media questions to the Superintendent or designee and will refrain from issuing public statements on behalf of the Student Advisory Board or the HCISD.