The History of Wilson ElementaryA history given by Carl Lee Tanberg, former Primera resident and student of Wilson Elementary.
Norman Roseff, with the Harlingen Historical Preservation Society.Pierre and Marie Wilson of Hennepin, County, Minnesota, early after the 1900 bought several thousand acres of brushland extending from what is now Combes to near the Guiterrez Middle School ( on Wilson Road) and (west) to Tamm Lane and over to Hwy 107. The Wilsons subdivided the land and marked roads out in the woods and sold tracts of land to northerners and anyone else who had the money. They call it Wilson Tract.Later in 1915, a school was organized, and they named it Wilson Tract School. They built a big two room wooden school in 1916. Lilian Elizabeth Weems (Baldridge) was it's first teacher.Starting in 1926 and continuing construction until 1928, the two room wooden building had grown into a two-story $40,000 building called Wilson Independent School which at this point employed about 11 teachers. The former wooden building was used as a cafeteria.There wer several accounts while researching the history of Wilson Elementary of a person with whom the school can be associated. It seems that this person made quite an impact so it seems fitting to mention him. His name is Delores "Shorty" Garcia. For 38 years this hardworking gentleman ably served the school as it's cutodian. For many years, he and he alone,conducted the maintenance and landscaping jobs. He was beloved by students, teachers, and parents alike, for many he put a very human face on the Wilson Tract School especially as it was intergrated into the Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District in 1948.Around 1965, the old Wilson School at Primera was closed. It's elementary students were bused to Dishman or Stuart Place Elementary. The upper grade students went on to attend Harlingen High.Wilson Elementary was constructed in 1974. However, in 1972, the old Primera Wilson School and it's addition were torn down to make room for the construction of a new school complex. The cornerstone of both the 1915 building and the 1926 addition was saved and is currently displayed at Wilson Elementary.