The first junior high school in Harlingen, Minnie B. Gay Junior High School first opened its doors in 1948. The address was listed as 13th and Madison. It was a two-story building with an auditorium and separate wing. In 1962, students were asked to submit drawings for a Raider mascot. The winning entry was a cowboy drawn by MMS student, James Stevenson. A rendition of that mascot was proudly displayed in the weight room and main staircase until renovations were made in 2000. Three years ago, Memorial PTA commissioned Carlos R. Leal, an art teacher at Harlingen High School South, to revamp the Raider.
After more than half a century, Memorial Middle School continues to embody excellence at its new facility, which opened its doors on August 27, 2012 to 808 students. The Cardinal tradition starts here!