Water Academy (Lifeguarding)
* Prerequisites: April 11th,12th or 13th from 5:45 pm—6:45 pm
* In water skill session Dates: April 21st—April 24th
* In water skill session Times: April 21st & 22nd (4:30 –7:00 pm),
23rd (1:00pm - 7:00pm) & 24th (8:30 am - 5:30 pm.)
* Course Fee: $ 150.00 (Credit/Debit, Cash or Checks made payable to: HCISD)
* Certification Fee: $ 40.00 (American Red Cross)
* Class Limited to 15 candidates.
Purpose of the WATER Academy: To teach candidates the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The WATER Academy will prepare them for job opportunities in Lifeguarding. The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drowning and injuries.
* Swim 300 yards continuously. (Goggles may be used)
* Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only.
* Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7–10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds. (Goggles are not allowed.)
* Please bring one of the following for registration: passport, driver’s license or
State ID for proof of age. Minimum age requirement is 15 years old by April 24th.
* One-piece Suit (ladies), Swim Trunks (men), towels, and goggles.
* (1) Notebook, pencil, and pen.
* Access to online material after class to complete eLearning Lessons & assignments.
American Red Cross Certification Requirements:
* Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
* Demonstrate competency in all required final skill scenarios.
* Correctly answer at least 80 % of the questions in the 2 sections of the final exam.
American Red Cross Certificate Issued and Validity Period:
* American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/ CPR/AED: 2 years